Faculty of engineering of University of Ruhuna carried out a research to achieve the following objectives
- evaluate the impact of noise on tourism industry
- prepare contour maps of noise levels during different times of the day
- tourists perception on the noise levels
- major sources of noise
- possible measures that can be taken to mitigate noise levels.
- what causes strange noises around mid night? Ghosts, as some people think or some other natural phenomena
Six noise contour maps were prepared representing 2 hour intervals from 6 am to 6 pm. Sample map for the period 6 am to 8 am is given below. It is interesting to note that the area near the court complex is the noisiest in the morning when lot of people gather. Then it becomes a very quiet area when the court begin work at 10 am.
|Noise levels during the period 6 am to 8 am|
- construction sites
- school and playground
- religious places
- noise reflecting from Galle town
- motor vehicles, particularly three wheelers
Full report in pdf format can be made available upon request.